“Some of these stories are closer to my own life than others are, but not one of them is as close as people seem to think.” Alice Murno, from the intro to Moons of Jupiter

"Talent hits a target no one else can hit; genius hits a target no one else can see." Arthur Schopenhauer

“Why does everything you know, and everything you’ve learned, confirm you in what you believed before? Whereas in my case, what I grew up with, and what I thought I believed, is chipped away a little and a little, a fragment then a piece and then a piece more. With every month that passes, the corners are knocked off the certainties of this world: and the next world too. Show me where it says, in the Bible, ‘Purgatory.’ Show me where it says ‘relics, monks, nuns.’ Show me where it says ‘Pope.’” –Thomas Cromwell imagines asking Thomas More—Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel

My favorite posts to get started: The Self-Righteousness Instinct, Sabbath Says, Encounters, Inc., and What Makes "Wolf Hall" so Great?.

Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Predictablegate


If it weren't for the fact that I've been stressed about the 20-pager I have to write for Critical Theory, and the barely started story I'm working on for Writing Fiction, I think I probably would have predicted the manufactured controversy going by the name Climategate.


The big revelation here is that there's a political dimension to science--as there is to every human endeavor. I haven't yet researched the details enough to comment intelligently, but I want to point out two things: the first is the timing, as Cap-n-trade is being debated and Copenhagen is coming up, and the second is the hypocrisy of the conservative outcry at the mere (and likely manipulated) suggestion that scientists "colluded" to prevent publication of certain papers (based on their methods, according to them, not their conclusions), while they're going around touting reports of 3200 supposed scientists who disagree with global warming findings which are downright egregious in their intentional misrepresentations.

No comments: